Friday 6 May 2011

Book Proposal




  • in·di·vid·u·al [n] : a singular person distinguished from others by a special quality [Syn. Character, original, unique, one self].









Overview and Rationale – I am going to produce a book consisting of portraits of musicians. For each portrait I am going to include a corresponding image of the album cover of the first album they bought. I think it will be interesting to see the progression of their music taste and how much it has changed over the years.


Aims and objectives - By undertaking this assignment I aim to further my knowledge of portraiture photography. I will also learn about working in a studio environment and keeping photographs consistent in regards to lighting, setting and editing. Finally I will 


References -

Charles Fréger

He works in series neatly categorising people, this ranges from men who clean the street to cooks. His images reflect on how people are different within a group. This is relevant to my work as I want to show how despite my subjects having the same interest their music and personalities differ greatly.












Kevin Cummins
His photographs of Joy Division subvert expectations by placing the band in a setting which you wouldn't usually use for band promotion shots. His photos feature urban Manchester. This is similar to my work in that he surprises the viewer.







Rineke Dijkstra

She tends to work in series concentrating on individual portraits. She focuses on people in a transitional stage of their life. Her subjects always stand facing the camera against a minimal background which encourages us to direct all our attention towards the isolated subject.




Individuals – portraits from the Gap collection
The portraits in this collection were designed to celebrate the uniqueness of the celebrity icon featured.







* This final concept was developed from previous ideas of producing a book just of portraits and also of producing a book of portraits which includes corresponding images of a detail of the subject's life which the viewer may find surprising such as an unusual hobby, body feature e.g. scar or tattoo, or precious belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment